Tuesday, November 9, 2010

the shot heard round the world

Being alone 98% of the time allows for much thought, the topic of consideration today was American History.
Being human is a gift, but can also be a curse. One fact about being human, is that all humans sin. The 7 deadly sins are termed as gluttony, lust, greed, sloth, despair, envy and pride. We all feel these emotions from day to day, it is our instinct. Humans are like animals. These instincts can overpower our good judgment in an instant. When we choose to act upon these impulses, history teaches that it really can be deadly.
The American Revolutionary War was started by a single shot, that even to this day no one is quite sure who fired it. Some even believe it was an accident, or an innocent farmer doing his job in the distance. This single shot was harmless… or so the man with the gun probably thought. But it started a war, and would forever be part of the history books.
The Americans and Englishmen took the shot as an opportunity. Their pride and wrath masked everything else important to them. At that instant each man involved probably didn’t think about how this would affect their wives and children, their brothers and their friends.
Although the war was good, and secured freedom for America, today I want to settle another “war” that has shaken up from one single “shot”.
People often do things that make the animal come out in others. Whether it was intended or not... Their envy, pride, wrath, or whatever other instinct it is, clouds their vision to what is really important. Today I want to practice some virtues to exterminate these truly deadly sins.
When I feel I have been wronged, I feel angry, and my pride keeps the grudge hot on my shoulders. But being mad and stuck up doesn’t let you keep the things that really matter.
In my life, I am grateful to say I have a wonderful family, many great opportunities, and a handful of incredible friends. Although my family is dysfunctional at times, I may not seize opportunities, or I might mess them up, and at times having friends so close can cause problems… I know if I did not have them, I would be incomplete. If I didn’t have problems, how would I know when I do have it really good? Everything breaks, nothing lasts once its warranty is expired, and all good times come to an end. I believe that most everything can be fixed; it’s only a matter of if it’s worth fixing. My friends mean the world to me, and I know that every little tiff we get in can be fixed and is worth every effort and humbling that it takes to resolve. One philosophy I have developed throughout life is that if I cannot forgive, I can’t expect to be forgiven when I do something stupid.
“A friend is someone who knows all about you, but loves you anyway.” –Anon

No matter what, I will always love my friends, each and every one of them. i love them in the best and worst of times… and I will always forgive them. I would be nothing without them, and nothing is worth losing them.

Love, Holly


2 comments:

  1. Dude who stole my best friend and replaced her with Emily Dickinson? Uhh can you say brilliant philosphy? You should be a writer...or something. Love you:)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a closet writer... I normally BS all papers though. Bear with me and my stupid metaphors and stories haha

    ReplyDelete